Saturday 5 May 2012

N.R.G

Or the Newcastle Roller Girls, the crew that I was cheering on at today's roller derby 'Never Mind the Back Blocks'. My only previous experience of roller derby was the movie Whip It with Juno star Ellen Paige. I'd loved the cool, rockabilly camaraderie of a gang of girls beating the crap out of each other and I wasn't disappointed by the real thing! It was really brutal with girls going flying and taking spills whilst showing off their skate skills. I have to admit watching both matches was a bit too much (especially sitting on bleachers/hard floor) and there was a huge amount of stopping and starting but it was still a fun day out.

Here's a few pictures I took. I took a ton of them but the lighting was so bad that I struggled to take any that weren't totally blurry, especially of the roller girls themselves. Ah well. I love the colours in these photos, it looks very retro American high school gym and it was awesome to take out my trusty Canon EOS 40D.











Big shout out to the Walker Activity Dome which was the weird old futuristic style dome...it was like the future as imagined in the 1960s! It is 2012 after all...this is the future!


If you're interested in taking in a derby, the NRG have their own website here and they're always looking for volunteers to help out with refereeing or just the general event. I would have loooved to sign up, get on some skates and maybe one day join the squad because those girls are awesome but because I don't live in Newcastle I can't really commit to practices...baah evilness. For now I will just have to stick at being an enthusiastic spectator!

No comments:

Post a Comment